Tuesday, May 20, 2014

TURN A PHOTO INTO A PICTURE BOOK!


When I saw this photo, an idea clicked in my head.

I was writing YA at the time and gaining fans for my THE SEER & DEAD GIRL series.

I didn't write picture books, but suddenly an IDEA was there. I couldn't ignore it.
I found a napkin and wrote: MORE THAN ANYTHING ALLY WANTED A DOG, BUT DOGS MADE HER ACHOO.

Within a few days, I had a rough draft. But it took five years and many rewrites before the photograph became a picture book, which recently was published by Albert Whitman.

SNOW DOG, SANND DOG -- my first ever picture book!



6 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

I'm glad you persevered! It seems sometimes the best stuff takes the longest. =) And sweet photo! Which one is Verla?

Barbara Etlin said...

Very cool photo!

Linda Joy Singleton said...

Leandra, Verla is the younger girl. She shows this photo when she gives school talks and kids love seeing that she was a kid just like them. When I saw this photo I couldn't stop thinking about the snow dog--and it's a book now!

Mirka Breen said...

"The face that launched a thousand ships..." that was said about Helena of Troy.
This snow dog did it, too. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a thrill after so many years of hard work and faith!

Linda Joy Singleton said...

And I just sold my 2nd picture book a week ago, CA$H KAT. It was inspired by a game I made up to each my grandson to count money. I'm super excited!